If you’ve read any of my previous blog posts regarding my boating activities you’ll recall I had a Honda Honwave T40 a few years back but swapped it as I found the weight difficult to manage. It weighed in at over 100KG including the engine. It would have been fine if I was storing it on a trailer and didn’t need to assemble it at each outing but that wasn’t an option so I replaced it with an air deck model, the Honda Honwave T38.
Well here we are a few years on and I’ve just purchased another Honda Honwave T40. Sometimes you don’t realise what you have until it’s gone. Yes it’s big, it’s heavy, it’s cumbersome to assemble but it’s very stable on the water and in my opinion a better fishing platform. In windy conditions my air deck inflatables tend to blow around too much, I liken them to an empty crisp packet whereas the aluminium deck boats with their extra weight tend to sit lower in the water. Think of an empty crisp packet versus a full can of fizzy drink floating on water. OK I’m hungry now but you get the idea.
Another issue with the air decks was the weight distribution. I needed to put plenty of weight toward the front of the boat to compensate for the weight of the outboard and my body weight at the back otherwise the front would start to lift out of the water when cruising. Not ideal when going out solo. Having a friend up front does help but more often than not I like to go on solo outings for a bit of peace and quiet and to de-stress.
I ordered my new Honda Honwave T40 from my usual supplier and it arrived in just under a week. On arrival the weather wasn’t good enough for a quick inflate and test so I had to wait until the weather improved and by the following weekend the conditions were better. Here are some pics from the unboxing and first inflation.
After carefully inspecting the parts I noticed one of the floor sections had a dent in one of the corners where it had probably been knocked in transit. Not a major issue but annoying as this was a brand new boat. Nevertheless I decided to fix this myself with a pair of pliers and continue the assembly.
It took a while to get the floor into place and the side struts in. I remember now how difficult this could be from my previous T40. With a bit more practice I should have it mastered.
I look forward to getting full use of this boat during summer 2017. Hopefully we’ll get some decent weather this year and I can travel around a bit more and try a few new locations.